- 3 Teaspoons of a Neutral Oil
- 3/4 Pound Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Large Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 Large Sweet Yellow Pepper
- 1 Medium Leek
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 10 Slices of Anny’s Bread Factory’s Whole Wheat Country Bread
- 1-1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 Large Eggs
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 2-1/2 Cups Fat-Free Milk
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Basil
- Cut the bell peppers into thin slices and chop the onion and leek.
- Cut the bread slices into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil, add the onions and cook until golden brown. Combine with the mushrooms.
- In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil, add the peppers, leek, salt and pepper cook until tender.
- Add the rest of the cooked veggies to the pan.
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray and layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, vegetable mixture, mozzarella cheese & Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and milk until combined. Pour over the layers in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle basil over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake covered for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown (10-15 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean)